C++ is a mid-level programming language that was invented by Bjarne Stroustrup in 1979 at Bell Labs. C++ runs on a various platforms, such as Windows, Mac OS, and the various versions of UNIX.
C++ is a statically typed, compiled, special purpose, case-sensitive, freely coding language that supports step by step, oops concept, and general programming.
C++ is a middle-level language, as it comprises a combined high-level and low-level language advantages.
C++ was developed by Bjarne Stroustrup an betterment to the C language and really named C with Classes but later it was renamed C++ in 1983.
C++ is a subset of C, and that important any special C program is a legal C++ program.
C++ is a object-oriented programming (OOP) language, organized by Bjarne Stroustrup, and is superset of the C language. It is therefore possible to code C++ in a “C style” or “object-oriented style.” In certain period, it can be coded in either way and is thus an impressive example of a mixture language.
C++ is think to be an intermediate-level language, as it bind both high- and low-level language features. Initially, the language was called “C with classes” as it had all the characterstics of the C language with an additional conception of “classes.” However, it was renamed C++ in 1983.
It is pronounced “see-plus-plus.”
C++ is one of the most important languages firstly utilized with system/application software, drivers, client-server applications and embedded firmware.
The main highlight of C++ is a group of predefined classes, which are data types that can be instantiated various times. The language also facilitates declaration of user-defined classes. Classes can next accommodate member functions to applying specific functionality. Multiple objects of a proper class can be defined to applying the functions within the class. Objects can be defined as event created at run time. These classes can also be inherited by other new classes which take in the public and protected properties by default.
C++ includes several operators such as comparison, arithmetic, manipulates bit and logical operators. One of the most attractive features of C++ is that it enables the overloading of certain operators such as +,-,*,/ etc.
A few of the essential concepts within the C++ programming language adding polymorphism, virtual and friend functions, templates, namespaces and pointers etc.
C++ is called the successor of C programming.The inception of C++ programming language began in 1979 when Bjarne Stroustrup was working in his Ph.D. thesis. During that period Stroustrup used to work with Simula .it all started in 1979 when Stroustrup started working on C with classes.
In 1983, this language having advantages of C with classes was renamed to C++. The ++ operator in C++ means the increment or decreament of C programming. In 1985, first edition of C++ was released. The language was yet to standard language.
In 1989, the official standard version 2.0 was released
In 1998, the standard committee of C++ released the first international standard ISO C++ 98.
In 2003, the C++98 was revised fixing the error and the name of the revised language was renamed as C++03.
Similarly, C++11 and C++14 are the another revised versions of 2011 and 2014, where some new parts and regular expressions were introduced in C++.
Advantages of c++
C++ has the following 2 advantages that creates it a preferred choice in most of the applications:
- Speed: C++ is faster than most other programming languages and it provides better concurrency support. This creates it useful in those areas where performance is quite difficult and the latency required is very low. Such requirements occur all the time in high-load servers such as web servers, application servers, database servers, etc. C++ plays a base role in such servers.
- Closer to hardware: C++ is closing to hardware than most other programming languages like Python, etc. This creates it useful in those areas where the software is closely complete with hardware and a low-level support is required at the software level.
Uses of c++
- C++ is used by hundreds of thousands of programmers in important every application domain.
- C++ is being highly used to write device drivers and other software that directly manipulate hardware under real time problems.
- C++ is mainly used for teaching and research because it is clean provided for successful teaching of basic concepts.
- Anyone who has used either an Apple Macintosh or a PC running Windows has indirectly used C++ because the primary user interfaces of these systems are written in C++.
Why learn C++
- The most important thing while learning C++ is to focus on concepts.
- The purpose of learning a programming language is to become a better programmer; that is, to become more effective at designing and implementing new technology and at maintaining old ones.
- C++ supports a variety of programming styles. You can write in the various style of Fortran, C etc., in any language. Each style can achieve its aims effectively while maintaining efficiency runtime and space.
Features of c++
Some of the various interesting features of C++ are:
- Object-oriented: C++ is programming language. This means that the focus is on “objects” and to change around these objects. Information about how these manipulate to their work is abstracted out from the consumer of the object.
- Rich library support: Through C++ Standard Template Library (STL) many functions are provided that help in fastly writing code. For instance, there are standard libraries for many containers like sets, maps, hash tables, etc.
- Speed: C++ is the preferred choice when latency is a critical metric. The compilation, as well as the execution time of a C++ program, is much faster than most other general purpose programming languages.
- Compiled: A C++ code has to be first compiled into low-level code and then to be executed, otherwise interpreted programming languages where no compilation neccessery.
- Pointer Support: C++ also supports pointers which are mainly used in programming and are enough not available in various programming languages.